Homemade skincare that’s good enough to eat? Why yes, please!
Look no further my dear friends because in this post I’m bringing you a finger licking recipe for a chocolate scented body scrub.You are sure to find most of the ingredients in your kitchen cupboards and it’s a really inexpensive scrub so give it a go – you won’t regret it, I promise. Homemade skincare really doesn’t have to cost the earth AND is incredibly easy to make.
I’ve played around a bit with the original recipe as I wanted to make a bigger batch to fit nicely into my Kilner jar so I’ve changed the proportions. Also, instead of just using coconut, I decided to add cocoa butter (which I have in chocolate flavour as well) which is why my recipe includes an equal amount of both. You certainly don’t need to do that and equally, if you don’t have coconut oil, you can use another plant-based oil, such as sunflower oil or almond oil which would do just the same job.
This scrub smells amazing and will leave a protective (slightly oily) layer once you’ve rinsed off the scrub – it’s absolutely fine when that happens so don’t try to rub it off 🙂 Just enjoy your skin feeling soft and supple!
If you’d like to try another homemade body scrub, then please check out my recipe for a Zesty sea salt body scrub.
Chocolate and mint body scrub
Shelf life: 3 months
Suitable for: all skin types
What you need:
- 150-200g dark brown/ Demerara sugar
- 40g raw cocoa powder
- 60g dried peppermint or opened up peppermint tea bags
- 200g coconut oil, melted (or 100g coconut oil + 100g cocoa butter, melted)
- a bowl
- a metal spoon
- kitchen scales
- a jar or other container to store your scrub (Kilner jars are perfect and look really pretty!)
- Mix the sugar, cocoa powder and dried peppermint in a bowl.
- Gradually add the melted oils into the bowl while stirring the mixture until a thick paste is achieved.
- Transfer into your container and put away to set.
- To apply, use a spoon to get a required amount and gently massage it onto your damp skin.
- Rinse off thoroughly and enjoy your skin feeling truly scrumptious!
Recipe inspiration: Star Khechara ‘The Holistic Beauty Book’
Disclaimer: This post contains some affiliate links. All views expressed in this post are 100% mine and honest.