Make your own anti-ageing face balm for just £1!
OK you guys, so you know I like to dabble in a bit of DIY natural skincare. Well, a while ago I tried out this new recipe for an organic anti-ageing facial balm that I found somewhere online and it turned out to be really great for my skin. I used it for a while and then forgot about it, making way for other products. But then a few weeks ago while I was tidying up my skincare products, I came across the said balm & I fell in love with it all over again! The only problem is that I’d forgotten to write down the recipe & to note down who the creator was but here’s what I think is the closest version of what I initially created.
Do you know the best thing about it though? It costs only £1 to make! Of course you need to get a larger quantity of the ingredients (which will cost you £17.87) but you’ll only be using 30g to make this cream. You’ll truly never have to buy another product again with the rest of the ingredients! You can’t go more zero waste than that!
Benefits of each ingredient in this anti-ageing face balm:
- Shea butter – naturally contains vitamin A (important for improving skin conditions, such as eczema and dermatitis) and vitamin E (an anti-ageing ingredient protecting our skin); it can also be used to treat burns, cuts and small skin wounds.
- Argan oil – renowned for its rejuvenating properties, it contains essential fatty acids and Vitamin E (also a powerful antioxidant), all of which help to regenerate the skin.
- Geranium rose essential oil – it has a beautiful (albeit quite strong) rosy aroma which has uplifting and balancing aromatherapeutic properties. It also has balancing and astringent properties on your skin so it’s perfect for oily and/or mature skin.
- 30ml glass jar – it could be reused from another cream (deally dark glass to protect the essential oils from sun rays)
- Double boiler (aka a heatproof bowl over a pot of hot – but not boiling – water)
- Mixing spoon – ideally stainless steel
- Melt shea butter in the double boiler.
- Once melted, take it off the double boiler and let it cool down.
- Once cooled down, add argan oil & geranium oil, and stir well.
- Transfer into your jar and refrigerate for a few hours or ideally overnight.
How to use your anti-ageing face balm?
The balm will have a lovely soft consistency so use a pea sized amount to apply to your face. Less is more when it comes to oils and balms so don’t overdo it!. You can use this balm over a facial serum for an intense overnight treatment or simply as your usual day moisturiser but always apply on damp face or spritzed with a facial toner/hydrosol to ensure it absorbs well and doesn’t leave oily film on your skin.
Important information about your anti-ageing face balm:
- Shelf life – between 3-6 months
- Suitable for: dry or mature skin
- Estimated cost for 30g: £1!!!