So today it’s my 35th birthday! Where have all these years gone?
Since turning 30 my birthdays have become a bit of a dreaded time of the year when I get reminded of yet another milestone passing me by and the things that I haven’t achieved that I thought I would. I actually do this all the time, not just on my birthday, but this year, I thought I would focus more on the things I’ve learnt, and turn some of the anxieties and worries into positive affirmations and mantras to live by.
If you’re feeling blue, perhaps you’ll be inspired by this list to come up with your own!
So here are my 35 mantras and positive affirmations:
- You are important and your life matters. We only get one shot at it but many chances to find happiness.
- Retain that childhood curiosity, no matter how old you are.
- Express your emotions, don’t hide them – they are the core of our humanity.
- Cherish your family and your loved ones. Call them and speak to them every day if they live far away – connect with them often, don’t put it away until later.
- Learn something new every day – a random fact or lyrics to that song that you love.
- Dance when you feel like it. Let the music soothe your soul.
- You’re braver than you think. Say that to yourself every day and you’ll believe it.
- Write down your strengths and hone them, don’t focus on weaknesses.
- Fall in love without worrying what happens next, just enjoy those butterflies.
- Be yourself. Be unique. Be quirky. Be whatever you want to be.
- Do random acts of kindness every day, no matter how small.
- Look after your body, mind and soul. If either is in imbalance, put things right – eat well, meditate, take a deep breath & do what makes you happy.
- Have dreams and pursue them. Sometimes it’s a long-winded journey but don’t give up. It may not work out but at least you’ve tried.
- Learn to move on from failures and pick yourself up when things don’t work out as planned. Don’t regret anything – see failure as a lesson.
- Eat more slowly and mindfully. Your body is a temple so respect it.
- You have a voice and you have a right to speak your mind but think before you speak. Your words have the power to change the lives of others, both for the better or the worse.
- We all want one thing in life – happiness, so respect others’ pursuit of it whatever happiness means to them.
- Listen to the sounds around you, especially nature. Notice the birds chirping, leaves rustling, babies cooing or kids’ footsteps.
- Be inquisitive – ask questions and demand answers if you don’t get them.
- Don’t be a follower all the time – try and lead sometimes too.
- Buy less, own less and reuse more. Be more conscious of what you have and what you actually need. Free yourself from material ‘stuff’.
- Work to live, rather than live to work. Enjoy your time off and don’t feel guilty if you do ‘nothing’.
- Try not to let everyday worries and anxieties take over your mind. Acknowledge them as they come but then imagine them floating away.
- Be present in the moment. Be here now.
- Be adventurous and don’t be afraid to take risks. The most successful people in the history often followed their gut feeling rather than reason.
- Don’t hold grudges against others. Consider everyone’s perspectives and talk things through.
- Life can be full of ups and downs – for everyone. Once you realise that, you stop the emotional turmoil of thinking only your universe is falling apart.
- Make memories every day, no matter how small. Record them – write a journal, take photos or videos. Use them to remind you how lucky you are.
- Chat to others about how you feel – don’t bottle it all up, it’s just not healthy for your soul.
- Find a hobby or something you love doing just for or by yourself. We all need ‘me-time’ to feed our soul.
- Learn to be patient. We live in this fast-paced world and people expect to achieve success overnight. After all, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
- When you’re feeling blue, clear your head by going for a walk by yourself (without any digital devices, of course!). You’ll be surprised by the freedom something so simple gives you.
- Give yourself a day off from all your responsibilities. Juggling everything all the time can lead to burn out so take a break. You can only give 100% to others if your own ‘battery’ is 100% charged.
- Wear more colourful outfits to brighten up your mood – especially in winter!
- Look in the mirror and smile to yourself. You are awesome.