Welcome to my interview series, “A greener way of life”, in which I talk to fellow green lifestyle & beauty bloggers to find out more about how, on a day-to-day basis, they manage to lead a green lifestyle. From making more ethical shopping choices, ditching plastic, to growing their own veg, these uber-conscious bloggers can teach all of us a thing or two about making a positive contribution not only to our planet but also to those around us. They say that ‘grass is greener on the other side’ and in the case of these lifestyle bloggers, it probably is 🙂
In this interview, I’m delighted to talk to one of the first ethical lifestyle & beauty bloggers that I discovered online a couple of years ago and started following for green living advice – Besma from the Curiously Conscious blog.
Tell us a bit about yourself and your blog.
Hi, I’m Besma! I’m a lifestyle blogger looking for kinder ways to live – that’s both for the earth, others and myself. My blog Curiously Conscious is where I write about clean beauty, ethical fashion, healthy food, wellness and eco travel.
What does a ‘green’ or ‘sustainable’ lifestyle mean to you?
I want to live in a way that is kind to the earth, as well as other people and myself. I don’t think that’s too ambitious – it just may take time looking for the right brands and activities to achieve it.
Why is it important to you?
I don’t yet have children, but I do think about the days when I’ll have a family and I want the world to be in a better place by then. It has to start by acting now, and making a better life for them in every way.
What everyday actions do you currently take to help you achieve that sort of lifestyle?
I’ve converted to natural beauty products, buying less clothing and only from ethical brands or second-hand, living minimally and eating well. It sounds quite plain like that, but my blog shows that it’s anything but!
What other green initiatives would you like to implement in your household?
Ideally, I would like to live in a self-sufficient house – one that makes the most of everything, from rainwater harvesting to composting. I’m currently renting so it’s not yet possible, but that’s the future goal!
What 5 top tips would you give to someone who wants to lead a more conscious, greener and zero-waste lifestyle?
Ooh, only five! I would say:
- Every time you repurchase an essential item, look for a greener alternative.
- Survey your rubbish, and see if there’s anything you can live without or swap for something less wasteful.
- Consider your transport – walking, cycling, and public transport are my main ways to get around, and it’s a lot easier than you may think!
- Inspire others to be more green – you’re doubling your positive impact for every person you help.
- Explore conscious lifestyle blogs and social media for more ideas and community.
How would you define your natural skincare/ beauty routine?
Mine’s quite minimal, if I’m honest. I like a good, cream cleanser and moisturiser morning and evening, and then I add in facial oils when needed, as well as a face mask on the weekend.
Who do you look up for advice?
I love natural beauty bloggers – just like you Alex! Other inspirations include Emma Watson and Lily Cole, who are using their celebrity status for good.
What are your 3 natural skincare/ beauty must-haves?
- Ere Perez Oatmilk Foundation – the best natural foundation I’ve tried!
- A good natural moisturiser – Madara’s Daily Defence Cream is great.
- For this time of year, a good natural lip balm. I have one from an Etsy brand called Kingdom of Stars, with a smooth and supple shea butter base.
What are YOUR tips for leading a greener kind of lifestyle?
If you’re a green lifestyle and/or beauty blogger and you’re interested in being featured in my interview series, then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.