I love breakfast and I really can’t start my day if I don’t have one. But trying to have a nutritious brekkie whilst sorting out a toddler and a 4-month old baby early in the morning before the school run means there’s little time & lots of temptation to reach for something not particularly nutritious or even skip breakfast altogether. So I’ve got myself into a habit of preparing my weekday brekkie the night before. I love oats because they gradually release energy (meaning I feel fuller for longer) so a Bircher muesli is my favourite these days. It’s so quick to make in the evening and it tastes so yum.
- 1 cup of oats – I like the Flahavans organic jumbo oats or porridge oats (can be found in most supermarkets)
- 1 cup of your preferred milk – my favourite one is almond from Alpo (also found in most supermarkets)
- 1/4 cup of orange juice (optional)
- 1 apple (grated – with skin on)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- a drop of vanilla extract
- a few cardamom pods (grounded in a pestle and mortar, with shells discarded)
- additional – pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cranberries, goji berries, raisins,
- toppings of your choice – fruit of your choice
- cling film
All you need to do is:
1. Cover the oats with milk. You can also add 1/4 cup of orange juice.
2. Add the grated apple to your oats.
3. Add cinnammon, chia seeds and vanilla extract.
4. Add grounded cardamom to your mixture.
5. The rest is optional depending what you have in your cupboard – you can certainly “freestyle” here.
6. Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge overnight.
7. In the morning, you can top it with some extra fruit of your choice.
So 5 minutes of prep time in the evening = no hassle in the morning and a happy belly ready for the day!
And what are your favourite breakfast recipes? Do you prepare them the night before as well?