This smoothie recipe is super easy to make and it can be drunk either in the morning as part of a healthy breakfast option or as a lunchtime/ afternoon pick-me-up snack. One of the key ingredients is brewer’s yeast which contains Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6, all of which contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue, and also to normal energy yielding metabolism. There is also some evidence that brewer’s yeast helps stimulate breast milk production so this smoothie could be part of a healthy diet for a breastfeeding Mum. If you are breastfeeding, it is however recommended that you seek medical advice before starting to use brewer’s yeast, just as with any other food supplement.
- 200ml milk (almond and hazelnut are my particular favourites)
- 1 banana
- 4 tbsp jumbo oats – I use Flahavan’s Irish Organic Jumbo Oats
- 1 tbsp brewer’s yeast powder
- 1 tbsp flaxseed (I use buff brown linseed which my NutriBullet mills into flaxseed)
- 1 tsp cacao nibs
- 4 dates – I particularly like these organic ‘Divine Dates’ from H&B
- 6 almonds – I recommend these for taste and value
Just mix everything together in a blender for a minute or so as you want the dates and nuts to be fully blended, and decant into a glass. Enjoy!